This article is to answer the growing number of requests I receive to get some explanations.
It started for us on Thursday 22nd of Mai, when Manny starts feeling worse all of a sudden. He hasn't got much appetite and ended up throwing up 6 times during the night. On our side, each time he goes to throw up seems to be really painful. And indeed, on the next morning (Friday 23rd), he clearly states he can't take the bus for Halong bay and needs to go see the doctor.
A taxi cones to bring him to the hospital. After discussion, he tells us to go on to Halong bay, he will join us as soon as he is healed. We all believed at that time it was just a small little illness that a medication and a good night sleep after would fully heal.
We kept contact by calling as we both had local Sim cards for Vietnam. It was complicated as the staff didn't speak English in this hospital. They did a battery of tests on him and told him after 5 hours that he had a problem with his intestines. He may need to get operated so was going to get transfered to the French hospital in Hanoi.
Arrived in Hanoi hospital in the evening. Over there, they confirmed the need of an operation that was going to be performed on the next day (Saturday 24th). After a last message on Saturday morning, we didn't get any answer from calls or SMS we sent him.
When arriving in Hanoi on Sunday 25th afternoon, we called him again at 16:45, just to have a member of the hospital staff answer to tell us he had just died.
When going to get some explanation at the hospital, all we could get was :"intestinal occlusion and septic shock". I managed to get contact with his parents, obviously shocked as well, to start all the paper work and procedures needed for Manny.
On Monday the 26, we took the day to handle the administrative stuff and try get more information at the hospital. We couldn't get any information from the hospital as we are not from the family, even the embassy could not access the medical files.
We however could get his stuff back. The valuables will be brought back to his parents in France by Julian, going back on Wednesday the 28th of Mai. The rest (mainly his clothes), at his parents request, will be given to charity.
The paperwork also nearly got finished, and a decision has been taken for the body. He will be incinerated in Vietnam at a yet unknown date. I will try to assist the incineration, but please forgive me if I can't, I'm not sure I will be able to handle this alone. I will then collect the ashes from the embassy to bring them back with me to France and give them to his family.
For those asking about the body, we went to the mortuary to see it. I tried to take a good look to be able to answer if you have questions about it. If any questions about it, you can contact me directly.
As for me and what I am doing next, I still don't know. I don't know either when I am going to go back to France. I will dedicate these next days to answer this question.